Mental Health Awareness Week
May 04, 2018 17:07
Alcohol Free Tips to Relax
Sometimes we drink to unwind or de-stress without realising that the drink is not actually helping. In fact drinking excessively actually makes us more stressed and even depressed.
Making small changes to how we manage our stress can make a big difference. It's not rocket science, but if you put some alcohol-free activities into your diary, you'll soon find you feel more in control, less stressed and even sleeping better. Try any of these, or whatever works for you:
- Make a date to go for a walk or a swim with a friend
- See a movie instead of going to the pub
- Take up a new hobby or craft
- Try yoga, karate or tai chi classes - or any form of exercise you haven't tried before. Just finding something new that you enjoy can open up all kinds of possibilities to reduce stress
- Try the free Couch25k app from Public Health England - it actually works!
- Going to bed earlier and getting more sleep is a great way to relax and it's free
- Eating regular healthy meals can keep your stress levels down - the more sugary snacks we eat, the more cortisol (the stress hormone) is created in our brains. Try nuts instead of biscuits at the 4pm slump
- If you don't have a pet, borrow someone else's and take them for a walk
Remember, if you still feel stressed, or haven’t managed to cut down, go to our Support page for more advice.